Thursday, May 26, 2011

Kailua Farmers Market

 I had rumblings in my stomach and not one enticing thing in the house to eat. I also needed some leafy greens for tomorrow's packed lunch. Conveniently enough, the Kailua Farmers Market was this evening. I headed over to the parking lot at Long's Drug where the market is held every Thursday from five o'clock to seven thirty. I took a few turns around the and stalls. Dodging prams, dogs, walkers, toddlers and some bleary eyed market goers who seemed to be in zombie mode on the hunt for what I am sure must have been the Lau lau... or maybe the scent of beignets bubbling in hot grease had them in a trance. Either way, I was definitely putting my defensive strolling skills to use.
  
After purchasing some gorgeous Pink Ginger flowers, a bag of sunflower sprouts and a head of lettuce, I decided to buy an assortment of heirloom tomatoes from Big Wave Flavor Tomatoes, along with a slice of their grilled pesto and tomato pizza. Oh Boy! Their pizza is one of my favorite treats at the market. It is always delicious, with the freshest tomatoes and basil, a crispy, crunchy, olive oil soaked crust that has just a little char from the gill. You can't go wrong with a classic like that. The folks that work the booth are so kind and friendly. A few extra tomatoes always seem to find there way into my sack AFTER the nice lady weighs them.
"A few samples", she says.
 
 I find that this has not been my most productive visit to the market. Usually I come home with enough food for a week or more. Bags spilling over with herbs and greens, sacks heavy and bulging with papaya, bananas, jalapenos, calamansi limes, green variegated lemons. 
Things seemed a bit slow, less vendors and not so much of the lovely fruits and veggies that were abundant through out the winter months... But I am happy with the "'maders" (as my mom would say rather than "tomatoes") and the rumbling in my tummy is quieted... For now...

(Did you know the Pink Ginger plant was brought to Hawaii from Tahiti in 1979?)

No comments:

Post a Comment