Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Coffee Talk

My favorite part of the day. Coffee time.
 It is of utmost importance to never over heat your coffee water. When I hear stirrings in the kettle I remove it from the heat before the water has a chance to boil. If the H2o is too hot, it will scorch the beans and the outcome will be a bitter cup-o.
 Sali Herr ZASENHAUS! En tasse cafe, bitteschoen! This little beauty is the perfect conical burr grinder for those of you who, like me, love the ritual of making your daily mug-o. Herr Zassenhaus is also a design marvel. I am always happy to see him sitting on my counter. Also handy, it's sides are curved and it is meant to be grasped between your knees whilst grinding.... I was introduced to the Zassenhaus by Ariel's dad Pablo. This reminds both Ariel and I of the warm kitchen back in NH full of friends and family and the smell of waffles and Iris' maple syrup... Pablo found his grinder at an antique shop and bought it for maybe ten bucks. If you do not have that kind of luck, you can order one here http://www.sweetmarias.com/sweetmarias/grinders/manual-grinders/zassenhaus-knee-mill.html
 Now, one of my favorite ways to make two cups of americano style coffee, is with a Moka Pot. I like my stainless and ceramic version. But this method tends to scorch the beans.
 The reservoir in the bottom is filled with water and only rises up through the grounds when it starts to boil. It is such a pretty pot, but the results are hit or miss.... So an unbeatable way to prepare a perfect cup of coffee is with this:

 The AeroPress.  The AeroPress makes an espresso like shot then you add hot water for an americano style coffee libation. If you are only after one or two perfect cups in the morning, you can't go wrong with this guy. As Alex Vehorn says, "It's a mud shooter."
Oh boy! Beans! I have never seen a bad bean come out of Useless Bay Coffee Co. Roasted in Langley on Whidbey Island and named after the bay I grew up on. Next time you are in Langley, WA stop in their cafe for an americano and one of their fantastic grilled sandwiches. They also have one of the best patios with live music during the summer months. http://www.uselessbaycoffee.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment