Saturday, August 6, 2011

the Yard

Today I putzed around in our new yard. The 5,000 square feet of land on Oahu that we now own is bursting with life. Of that 5,000 square feet, 1,200 is taken up by the house. Every inch that is not house, is garden. When I walk out in the morning it can be counted on that some bush needs trimming, leaves need raking or delicate seedlings need watering. 
stag horn fern

Fern fronds unfurl in the blink of an eye. Curling vines wrap themselves around frantic to engulf any thing in their path. Palms bend in an aggressive stretch to get as close to the sun as possible. I am padding around the yard bare foot. The grass is so soft, and cropped short, almost like a putting green. But the grass is sturdy, succulent and cooling my steps in the warm afternoon heat. Anole lizards trip about. Skittering this way and that from my movements. If I am still they will crawl out from cover for a meal. One will quickly catch a little black ant then spend the next five minutes adjusting it's jaw,rolling a wary eye ball around at me disjointedly in its socket,showing a red dewlap and tapping off a telegram using Morris code, up and down twitches of the head.



avocado

The glory in all of this pushing, straining, drinking, growing, tapping. The beauty is that... as I walk quietly and watch, and tend and water... A branch reaches out, an avocado on the tip of his green fingers. For me. The passion fruit blossom smiles, and if I look carefully where her curly lashes direct my gaze... she coyly shows me the freckled green orb dangling under sun dappled leaves. Fruit that will ripen to a blushing purple pink soon. 
lilikoi blossom
lilikoi not yet ripe

lilikoi ripe


As the evening sets in and the sky through the canopy overhead becomes a canvas of blue and pink with clouds back lit by the dropping tropical sun, the dusty peach flower of the tobacco plant cordially opens his buds. The tobacco thrusts out it's stamen. I crouch down to peer at his face. Dashing and brave as he protects the other pants from pests. And I see Mr. Lizard with a mouthful of spindly legs and shiny wings. A cockroach for dinner. Well done! I feel like Alice in Wonderland, and tomorrow, when I wake up I get to see all of this wonder again...
tobacco

cacao



plumeria

No comments:

Post a Comment